Well, I’m sick. To some, this is the worst way to spend New Year’s Eve. To me, it’s perfection. My ideal New Year’s Eve involves me, my husband, Netflix, food that’s bad for us, and a bedtime well-before midnight. Believe it or not, being sick pretty much assures all of these things.
While my NYE seems to be shaping up nicely, being sick SUCKS. I don’t know what I have -a cold I guess? Generally, I feel sicknesses fall into one of two categories: cold or flu. If you have a fever, it’s the flu. In all other cases, it’s a cold. Don’t quote me on this people – I’m not a doctor, in fact I got a D or F in pretty much every science class I’ve ever taken. My current symptoms include: frequent headaches, incessant coughing, and expelling some colorful substances from my body. I can sum it up by saying that it feels like someone spent the entire night beating up my throat. My treatment has included: Nyquil, Robitussin, lemon, honey, tea, hot water, Cepacol & other cough drops. Note: not a single treatment has even remotely worked. Your remedy suggestions are greatly appreciated.
So it’s the last day of yet another year. I’m sick. My coworkers want me to rest and I try to explain to them that I’m just sitting here on my sofa watching TV. It’s easy enough to answer some emails – but they have a different definition of rest. So, I’m not answering emails – instead I’m writing this blog and I think this is a good time to reflect on 2015. Here are some of the highlights:
- We went to Maui for our honeymoon! It feels like it was years ago, but such wonderful memories. Snorkeling for the first time ever and celebrating my best friend’s 35th birthday in the best place we could think of.
- An amazing summer family picnic with all the folks I love so much. It was hot, really hot – so hot we couldn’t paddle boat, but we still had a blast and it was worth the near-heat stroke.
- A late-in-the-year vacation to Portland, Oregon – another first for the both of us! And we were celebrating our 1 year anniversary – we did it! We loved Portland, but learned quickly that while so many of our friends totally see us living there, we do not. A little too hip and young for these two geezers.
- This year was also filled with so many wonderful memories with our friends (and their little mini-me’s). As the years go on, my close friends are fewer and fewer and thank god for that. What they say is true, I would rather have a handful of amazing friends who have my back, than a boatload of people with silly priorities.
- 2015 was also the year that Ben and I realized just how much we want to have a baby and how ready we are for whatever life will bring us in 2016. And by ready, I mean not-at-all-ready because who’s ever ready for life’s surprises!?
Even with your challenges, 2015 – you were good to me. And with that – I hope you all have a wonderful and safe ending to 2015. Kiss the ones you love and hug them tight as 2016 rolls in. If all goes as planned, Ben and I will be fast asleep as the fireworks roar.